Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 639

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1041

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1046

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1518

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1523
Head not in sand - SouthAfrica.com Discussion Forum

Go Back   SouthAfrica.com Discussion Forum > Guest Book > Guest Book

Notices

Head not in sand

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1st March 2002, 16:41
Allan

Because I know that is what I'm going to be accused of I thought I'd better mention it in the subj. Here's some food for thought that was mailed to me by a friend.

South Africa, almost alone amongst emerging market economies, is set to escape virtually unscathed from the latest bout of investor panic sweeping the developing world's fragile economies (The Times, London, August
2001)
The SA banking sector has been consistently ranked in the top 10 in terms of competitiveness (IMD, Switzerland) When Nelson Mandela was inaugurated President in 1994, SA was insolvent liabilities exceeded assets). Today the Government's deficit is negligible - one of only a handful of countries in this position.
We've had single digit inflation since 1993 - following 20 years of double-digit inflation. Mortgage rates are at their lowest level since 1988.
> >
South Africa is one of only 12 countries, where we can drink water from a tap. Our tap water was found to be the 3rd best quality in the entire world. Remember 15 years ago, in 1986 - A state of emergency was declared, white men did two years compulsory military service, 64 184 black people were removed from "white areas", 3989 people were detained without trial, our Economic growth rate was 0.7 percent. Today it is 2.2%. 64 countries had sports boycotts against SA !!! South African wines win international awards every year and we have the longest wine route in the world.
> >
Nelson Mandela, an international icon of forgiveness, tolerance, and humanity is our favourite son .The Kruger Park has the most innovative management of a national park
anywhere in the world - and is the world's most profitable game park.
> >
Eskom is the largest producer of coal-fired electricity in the world and South Africans pay the least for electricity in the world.

South African Breweries is the 4th largest brewer in the world and produces over 50% of China's beer!
> >
Mercedes Benz C Class, BMW 3 Series and VW Golf/Jetta vehicles for all right-hand drive markets throughout the world are produced in South Africa.
> >
Didata grew from a local IT service provider into a huge, global networking company with branches in 30 countries.
> >
The Cape Peninsula has more species of plants here per hectare than any other area of the world.
> >
Magnificent highways
> >
Warm, friendly, vibrant rainbow people.
> >
The world's most progressive Constitution
> >
Kreepy Kraulies - a South African invention
> >
Mrs Ball's chutney and biltong
> >
The world's best looking population
> >
"Leader's deal in hope - I give many speeches nearly daily and I talk about positives. Many have forgotten the Kasspirs and guns - its paradise now
in comparison."
> >
"I've got four children and ten grandchildren and we are staying right
> > here". Raymond Ackerman, CEO Pick 'n Pay.
> > "For every guy who holds up a gun, there are 99 who hold out a hand of friendship" - Dennis Beckett, journalist.
> >
This is something I've never done, but after reading this, all I ask from you is to send this on, to your friends, family and others. Let us in this way deal with our negatives and let us try to be positive. By being positive we can go far in life and we can all strive for a better and more positive life and country.
> >
> > Regards to you all, peace, and positive thinking - that's the way to go!