Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 639

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1041

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1046

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1518

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1523
Moving to PE, advice please! - Page 2 - SouthAfrica.com Discussion Forum

Go Back   SouthAfrica.com Discussion Forum > Travel & Tourism > Moving

Notices

Moving to PE, advice please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th October 2007, 09:43
Administrator

From Someone Actually Living in PE

Hi Sarunds,

I'm actually living in PE presently, so I hope I can assist you in finding a good place to live.

As far as crime goes in PE, it isn't nearly as frightening as Gauteng. I lived in Gauteng for 19 years of my life and moving to PE was a breath of fresh air. Not to say there are no problems here, there are. Fortunately the majority of crime in the suburbs and outer lying areas lacks the violence seen in Jhb.

Of course, where you choose to live will depend on your budget. Fortunately, though, nowhere is really too far from anywhere else in this relatively small city. I currenlty live on a small-holding in Lovemore Park. If you are looking for a small-holding then I suggest looking at areas such as Lovemore Park, Sardinia Bay, Bushy Park, Deer Park and Theesecombe. Nice suburbs include Charlo, Lovemore Heights (lots of development around here), some sections of Mount Pleasant, certain sections of Lorraine and Kamma Park (a very new area). Summerstrand is also quite popular, but I don't really visit that side of PE very much. Seaview is a little bit out of the way and you will have to travel some distance to get to shopping centers, entertainment areas etc.

If you would like to find out more about any of these areas, just give me a shout and I'll be happy to give you some more info.
Old 24th October 2007, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarunds View Post
Gauteng is definetally not on my list of places to live. I don't believe Apartheid braught civilisation to SA. It certaily contained the masses, but I believe it ultimately contributed to the violence SA sees today.

My parents live in the Western Cape and they have been fortunate to have not seen crime in over 10 years. Sadly the same cannot be said for their domestic workers who have to face roving gangs of imported thugs at home. They have realised now that noone from the government is going to help them, so they have started to help themselves. They have created their own crime prevention unit and it is having a serious effect, according to them. They can sleep at night now, albeit still with one eye open!

Ed, thanks for clarifying your position. Your reply allowed me to see where your comments are coming from and no, I dont believe in a 'white racist conspiricy" as I have had replies from all colours and all have had something to say about crime one way or another. As I said, I have done my reaserch, looked at ALL the stats and know what SA is about.

I do take crime very seriously, but there seems to be such huge contradictions is peoples oppinions. For example I had a reply today from an ex British Army man who now lives in PE with his children, telling me that in the last 5 years he has not been touched by crime and lives the most wonderful life as do his kids. He doesn't take unneccesary risks but at the same time does not let anything stifel his life. You on the other hand tell me its worse then Iraq (something one of my SA friends currenlty in Bagdad laughed at when I asked his oppinion, again a contradiction in oppinions!) The vast majority of advice and responces I have had have been hugely positive from people now living in SA. They are not blinkered and know about the crime, as do I. Your warnings have been noted as have all the warnings I have recieved.

Now, can anyone please tell me where is nice to live in PE?! People tell me that Walmer is great for families, others that Seaview is the best.....? And primary schools? Any schools stand out from the crowd as particularly good?
Very well then, as you wish. Done my bit and all.

Look into Mangold park , 'only' 58 murders, 40 attempted murders, 96 cases of rape, 428 cases of assault with intent to harm, 249 robberies with aggravating circumstances, 1557 residential burglaries, 205 burglaries at business premises, 225 cases of car theft, and 1048 cases of theft that does not fall in the previously mentioned categories, all in the span of less than 11 months. Not too bad. That's probably one of the few best place to live in PE or elsewhere in SA that you will find.
Old 24th October 2007, 10:16

Talking At last, someone from PE!

Admin you star!! Thank you for giving me some useful advice We are looking for a small holding sized property if possible and so far I have only realy researched properties in Theescombe, but will now look at other area you sugested. Which would be considered more up-market, but not the most expensive? I have a starting point! Thank you!

Would Theescombe be considered an outlying area - It looks pretty 'out there' on Google? How far is it from your area and how far from any shopping areas or schools?
Old 24th October 2007, 10:38
Administrator

All the small-holding areas I gave you are more upmarket. There are some really stunning houses in Deer Park and Bushy Park. Sardinia Bay is probably also considered upmarket and is just around the corner from a gorgeous stretch of beach. The thing with PE is that properties can be quite mixed. You'll get a tiny little run-down houses amidst middle-class and upmarket houses, so it can be difficult to really define an area. Theescombe is a mix. More towards the sea from Theescombe is an area called Little Chelsea (I think).

Theescombe is right next door to the suburb of Lorraine, so I imagine Lorraine Primary School would be your best option. Distance wise (depending how far into the area you are) approx. 10 mins to nearest shopping centre, less to convenience stores, 10/15 mins to school, 20+ mins to Sardinia Bay beach, 30 mins to the main beachfront in Humewood, about 15 mins to where I live.

Have you considered renting for 2/3 months before buying so that you can look around for the best option to suit your needs?
Old 24th October 2007, 10:50

Wow - sounds like there is still room for a lot of property development out there. Great news. We will definetally consider renting before we buy. We are flying out in Feb to have a good look and will hopefully narrow down our search area during that visit.

Thank you for the distance guide as well, that helps me a lot as I will be driving the kids around

Now to hunt the web. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 7th May 2014, 13:59

Smile

port elizabeth is nationally known as the friendly city, and it is indeed. Blue water bay is suburb near the st george beach its a nice suburb with big houses. Summerstrand, is also near the beach and industrial zone, you can have a nice set up for your offices as well. Also port elizabeth is good for business, especially construction, there's a coega industrial development project. Also in eastlondon. Hope you enjoy your stay in port elizabeth my hometown.
Old 8th May 2014, 07:27
Administrator

Hi Gabula -- and welcome!