Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 639

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1041

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1046

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1518

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/webs/southafrica.com/live/forums/showthread.php on line 1523
Moving to PE, advice please! - SouthAfrica.com Discussion Forum

Go Back   SouthAfrica.com Discussion Forum > Travel & Tourism > Moving

Notices

Moving to PE, advice please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2007, 23:25

Moving to PE, advice please!

HI, I'll be moving to SA next year and probably to PE, with my husband and 2 young children (and the 2 dogs!). We are in construction and alternative energy and want to set up a company there.
Can anyone give me advice on where is safe and spacious in PE? I like the look of Theescombe on the net, but is it too far out and is it safe? Basically I'd love to have a place with a big garden for the kids and animals to run in, but to be safe! Any advice - also any advice on high quality schools for 3 and 5 year olds?
Old 23rd October 2007, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarunds View Post
Can anyone give me advice on where is safe and spacious in PE?
How about 'nowhere is safe', not even an underground bunker you might want to build for yourself and your family (make room for the dogs too, they will be otherwise shot if left outside) ? But I bet that won't be too helpful would it?

Good luck either way!
Old 24th October 2007, 03:19

I have a friend who I studied Civil Engineering with who lives in PE with his wife and two (soon to be three) children who are under the age of five. I'll see if I can find out which suburb they live in as I am a Cape Town girl and don't know PE at all. Does Charlo sound right? Post code 6070.
Old 24th October 2007, 07:31

Thanks for your offer of help Ches Any advice from a local would be MOST welcome

Ed, your reply saddens me. It seems you take every opportunity on every post to throw out negative comments about SA. Dont be so naieve as to think that I know nothing about SA and its crime. I lived through the demise of Zim and have have lived in Europe and the Middle East (currently on the dorestep of Iran and Iraq) and visited most of the world. I am not blind and neither am I stupid.

I am not alone in wanting to return to SA and in wanting to contribue to the future of a country I love. I was fortunate to have been educted in the UK and want to use my MSc to create a business that will benefit me and my community.

I have had replies for people who lived or live in PE all telling me the situation in PE. I know the risks and if I did not believe that the benefits for my family seriously outweighed those risks, I would not be moving. What I would now like to recieve is honest information from people who know PE well and who can give me advice on the subjects I have posed.

Replies telling me about violent crime that I already know about in great detail is really a waste of space on this page.
Old 24th October 2007, 08:02
Tee

Orania is safe, given that it is an all white Afrikaner community.

Sorry but there is no more apartheid, so there is no more civilization. I'd advice against moving anywhere in Gauteng (or South Africa for that matter). The other week a mother was sexually assaulted and murdered in my uncle's area in Pretoria East, and then a 3 year old was shot and killed a week after. Great country !
Old 24th October 2007, 09:14

Quote:
Ed, your reply saddens me. It seems you take every opportunity on every post to throw out negative comments about SA. Dont be so naieve as to think that I know nothing about SA and its crime. I lived through the demise of Zim and have have lived in Europe and the Middle East (currently on the dorestep of Iran and Iraq) and visited most of the world. I am not blind and neither am I stupid.
What should sadden you more than my reply, is the current situation in SA. Sad that people care more about rugby (etc.) than the value of life (be it white or black). What is your point? I have lived more than just on the doorstep of Iraq. I have lived IN Iraq for some weeks, and even with all the terrorism and bloodshed there, it is still safer than taking a stroll in ANY city (not just Jo'burg) in SA. I love how people dismiss the extremely credible statistics and accuse people like me of coming up with false information about the crime rate. Must be some big racist conspiracy that us whites have launched, to destroy 'black' SA huh...

I do not blame you for wanting to return and for loving our country. I do wish to return, too, but I just don't see that happening, until such time as those who are anathema to that thing we call civilized behaviour, cease to be in power.

I replied to your post in particular because I have lived in PE all my life. I was born and raised there, and unfortunately left it in disgust. My information was the epitome of honesty. I would never tell someone things that aren't true just because it's what they might want to hear. I say it like it is. If you don't believe me, then I can't help you much, you can go and experience it yourself. Many a people have not listened and have gone on to experience the glory of living in the 'new' SA, only to flee in a few months' time, after having spent a fortune relocating there. Certainly if you are up for such an adventure and waste of money that could otherwise go into your children's future and your or your husband's career, all the more power to you.

But remember my words, a lifetime of dedication and loyalty, a split second and you have a bullet in your head, or one car less, or one child less, or one dog less, or husbandless. Don't say you weren't warned is the only advice I can give you at this point.
Old 24th October 2007, 10:09

Gauteng is definetally not on my list of places to live. I don't believe Apartheid braught civilisation to SA. It certaily contained the masses, but I believe it ultimately contributed to the violence SA sees today.

My parents live in the Western Cape and they have been fortunate to have not seen crime in over 10 years. Sadly the same cannot be said for their domestic workers who have to face roving gangs of imported thugs at home. They have realised now that noone from the government is going to help them, so they have started to help themselves. They have created their own crime prevention unit and it is having a serious effect, according to them. They can sleep at night now, albeit still with one eye open!

Ed, thanks for clarifying your position. Your reply allowed me to see where your comments are coming from and no, I dont believe in a 'white racist conspiricy" as I have had replies from all colours and all have had something to say about crime one way or another. As I said, I have done my reaserch, looked at ALL the stats and know what SA is about.

I do take crime very seriously, but there seems to be such huge contradictions is peoples oppinions. For example I had a reply today from an ex British Army man who now lives in PE with his children, telling me that in the last 5 years he has not been touched by crime and lives the most wonderful life as do his kids. He doesn't take unneccesary risks but at the same time does not let anything stifel his life. You on the other hand tell me its worse then Iraq (something one of my SA friends currenlty in Bagdad laughed at when I asked his oppinion, again a contradiction in oppinions!) The vast majority of advice and responces I have had have been hugely positive from people now living in SA. They are not blinkered and know about the crime, as do I. Your warnings have been noted as have all the warnings I have recieved.

Now, can anyone please tell me where is nice to live in PE?! People tell me that Walmer is great for families, others that Seaview is the best.....? And primary schools? Any schools stand out from the crowd as particularly good?