Go Back   SouthAfrica.com Discussion Forum > Open Board > Open Board

Notices

Whatever happened to Mahree Bok??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 29th May 2002, 20:57

Question

Hello All!

I have just recently watched a made for TV movie called 'The Color of Friendship' and was quite amazed as to what it was about. The movie takes place in 1977 before Apartheid was dissolved and has to do with a white SA girl coming to stay with a host family in the USA as a foreign exchange student. She has no idea that her host family is African-American and vice versa. Needless to say, she thinks just because it is a Congressman and his family, that they are white. But the two girls become fast friends when they put their difference aside. Has anyone else seen this movie? I had no idea it was actually based on events that transpired in South Africa. I have a very dear friend that lives in Johannesburg. She did not remember this movie, but the mention of Steven Biko made her more aware. She tells me that everyone knows of Steven Biko. So, does anyone know whatever happened to Mahree Bok? This was a very interesting movie.
Old 29th May 2002, 21:03

Hi

I have never seen that movie. Steve Biko is remembered along with many martyrs because he was killed in police custody. That certainly would have shocked a conservative white South African back in 1977.
Old 29th May 2002, 21:11

Yes, I remember reading about that. Horrible situation. This was really an interesting movie. I don't know a whole lot about South Africa, but I have been determined to learn because of my new friend. I do know in this movie that Embassy officials forced themselves into the Dellums home and removed Mahree Bok and took her to a SA embassy saying she was in danger. She was concerned with what was going on because she knew nothing of Steve Biko and her father just happened to be a SA policeman. All in all, the movie was good, but it was a Disney made for TV movie and of course will not relay the harsh realities of any society. Thanks for responding!
Old 29th May 2002, 21:14

I wouldn't be surpirsed if that kidnapping were true. Some really crazy things took place...
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:21

No one really knows what happened to her. Her real name was Carrie and the Dellums family lost touch with her. Piper Dellums wrote a short story about when Carrie came and stayed with her and her family. It was called Simunye. In the story she speculates that Carrie(Mahree) could have been killed due to her activist role against the apartheid.
There a quite a few stories as to what happened to Carrie. One being that she was beaten to death at the age of 16 for her activist role.
Another was that she disappeared along with many other activists.
Sadly we may never know what happened.
Old 11th February 2008, 09:18

Question mahree bok aka carrie

what happend to carrie alias mahree bok?