Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Africa was robbed by the colonial masters since 1900.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Africa was robbed by the colonial masters since 1900.

It all began in 1885 when the European powers met in Berlin to carve up Africa into colonies to be added to their empires. By the beginning of the twentieth century the entire continent – with the exception of Ethiopia and Liberia was in the hands of European nations. Notably, Britain, France and Germany took the lead. This imperial drive was fuelled by fear of whom would be looked in combat in the WW1, 14 years later.

In the north, the British were allowing the Egyptians to run their internal affairs, retaining control only over the Suez Canal and of military and foreign affairs. Britain, however allowed no real reforms in Egypt fearing this would lead to political unrest. A bone of contention emerged between Britain and Egypt concerning who ruled in the Sudan, which had been ruled by Egypt. To block French penetration of the region the British had expanded into the Sudan in the 19th century.

Full text: http://www.beta4africa.com

The British empire was the greatest catalyst for positive change which the world has ever seen.It brought the benefits of education,industrialisation and a sophisticated legal system to countries that were very often still living in the dark ages.Your country was one of many which has benefitted from British colonialism.If it wasn't for the civilising influence of European christians what kind of nation would South Africa be now?The British empire was solely responsible for dragging your nation into the twentieth century.

Comment

Does "civilize" excuse everything?

Comment

There is much about imperialism that is shameful.It is undeniably true that European countries tended to exploit their overseas possesions.But when all is said and done I believe the British empire gave more than it took.It gave a system of education,law,government and developed the infrastructure of countries which otherwise would have remained backward and underdeveloped.When my great grandfather left Scotland in the last century he went to South Africa not seeking personal gain but to use his medical expertise to help South Africans.There were thousands like him imbued with the same sense of christian duty and it's thanks to these people that your nation enjoys freedom and democracy now.

Comment

I'm neither southafrican nor british. So my knowledge about details off the british history isn't that good.
          But colonialism/imperialism in general caused the main part off todays world problems.
          What i find impossible to understand is, why those former empires got out of it that easy by "granting independence"!?

Comment

i wonder about this too, they came they conquered, messed things up a bit, then gave the country back to its ppl in a total shambles , WIERD

Comment

If South Africa is indeed a 'total shambles'then that is the fault of South Africans and no one else.Australia,New Zealand and Canada were also colonies at one time yet they can hardly be termed a total shambles.Apartheid may have been morally abhorrent and no right minded person could ever argue otherwise but when it ended the demise of South Africa was inevitable.I know the precise reason why your country is a 'total shambles'and it's nothing to do with your colonial past.

Comment

"Precise Reason"?

Your apparent support of the British Empire is quite sickening. At best they can be described as the best of a rotten bunch as the Portuguese & Germans were far crueler. SA is a experiencing problems today because it is probably the most cosmopolitan place in the world. People of African, Asian & European extraction are all trying to make a life here. An incompetent government seems to be hampering progress.

Comment

Look at the state of countries which were not colonised.Ethiopia for example is one of the most backward nations in Africa.It did not develop the infrastructure which European colonisation brought to many other African nations and consequently it has remained under developed with tragic consequences for it's people.Imperialism is bad.But it is sometimes the case that things which are bad can in the long term bring good.I would argue that the British empire brought many positive things to South Africa such as education,a legal system and the infrastructure which is the key to development in the modern world.The problem with South Africa is that for many years this infrastructure was geared solely towards the needs of the white minority and worked reasonably well.However with the ending of apartheid the limitations of the infrastructure have been exposed.These problems will through time be overcome but it is I believe a fruitless exercise for South Africans to dwell on the moral rights and wrongs of their colonial past.

Comment

Andy J

Hi

I couldn't aggree more that it serves no purpose for SA to dwell on the injustices of its colonical past. I just don't like your arrogant support of the British Empire. Suggesting that it is responsible for bringing SA into the 20 th century is true in certain regards, but they did destroy the authority of the African chiefdoms and way of life that existed before their arrival.

When the British recognized the error of their ways they left a population stripped of traditional authority and expected them to successfully implement democracy. (Remember that democracy only came to Europe relatively recently). Britain virtually abandoned her African colonies. Oh yes, millions of pounds in aid was supplied but an uneducated population can never be expected to manage a modern western democracy.

YOu cannot compare other former colonies like Australia & New Zealand to Britains former African colonies. There the indigenous populations were quickly reduced to a minority. This is a fundamental difference.

SA is a nation trying to build itself a better future. Your comments on the benefits of the BE may be true in certain aspects, but the arrogance in which you convey them open old wounds and are divisive.

By the way I owe my very existance to the BE. One of my great grandfathers was a decomissioned soldier who came with the British forces to SA in the 1870's to fight in what is now referred to as the Anglo-Zulu war.

Comment

Ethiopia

I am only pointing this out because I had a very good friend from Ethiopia at school with me.

Ethiopia was invaded by the Italians during the lead up to world war II while the League of Nations (now United Nations) didn't have the balls to do anything about it. Anything changed? The Italians did this simply because their lack of overseas possessions gave them an inferiority complex.

Then after WWII it was left in virtual shambles and did not receive any of the massive aid from the USA that went to Europe in the form of the Marshall Plan.

Comment

Re: Andy J

Originally posted by Allan
                        Hi

I couldn't aggree more that it serves no purpose for SA to dwell on the injustices of its colonical past. I just don't like your arrogant support of the British Empire. Suggesting that it is responsible for bringing SA into the 20 th century is true in certain regards, but they did destroy the authority of the African chiefdoms and way of life that existed before their arrival.

When the British recognized the error of their ways they left a population stripped of traditional authority and expected them to successfully implement democracy. (Remember that democracy only came to Europe relatively recently). Britain virtually abandoned her African colonies. Oh yes, millions of pounds in aid was supplied but an uneducated population can never be expected to manage a modern western democracy.

YOu cannot compare other former colonies like Australia & New Zealand to Britains former African colonies. There the indigenous populations were quickly reduced to a minority. This is a fundamental difference.

SA is a nation trying to build itself a better future. Your comments on the benefits of the BE may be true in certain aspects, but the arrogance in which you convey them open old wounds and are divisive.

By the way I owe my very existance to the BE. One of my great grandfathers was a decomissioned soldier who came with the British forces to SA in the 1870's to fight in what is now referred to as the Anglo-Zulu war.
                        Allan.
                        I would hope I don't come across as arrogant but being British I have rightly or wrongly tended to view my country's imperial past in a positive light.It's difficult for me to accept the hostility of certain people towards something in which I feel a degree of pride and which I regard as a force for positive change.My great-grandfather also left Britain to serve as a surgeon in the South-African army during the late nineteenth-century.

Comment

Britian actually robbed all of SA
                          firstly they robbed the Boers (Anglo-Boer war)
                          then initiated apartheid (unofficialy)
                          If they had not robbed the Boers we would of been up too scratch with USA ( this made the British paranoid)
                          and i really wonder if back then the Boers would of made Apartheid official.....????? or even exist..........
                          Apartheid was started by the British... not the Boers
                          USA kicked the Kings "royal" a******* back too Europe
                          question.......why is no-one so "hateful" for the Americans
                          killing almost 90 million true American Indians??????
                          It was thier homeland not the white mans.......
                          Seems big excuses win
                          Australia....whats your race relation with Aborigines???......u make Apartheid seem small........
                          another one Mexico..which most dont know.......
                          the Spaniards invaded but the Aztec Indians kept them at bay for almost 2 years ...until european diseases weakened thier military........
                          but still in the early 1800"s the "Mexican" people stood up and booted the colonials back too Europe
                          dont fetch history theres more hypocrisy then justice.....
                          and even too this day............

Comment

Originally posted by Timtom

It all began in 1885 when the European powers met in Berlin to carve up Africa into colonies to be added to their empires. By the beginning of the twentieth century the entire continent – with the exception of Ethiopia and Liberia was in the hands of European nations. Notably, Britain, France and Germany took the lead. This imperial drive was fuelled by fear of whom would be looked in combat in the WW1, 14 years later.
                            I think you also need to consider how the Dutch stole the South Africa land during the 17th century as well. All of this was done with evil intent, and now millions suffer as a result of these evil acts.

Now is the time to correct the injustice that has been done, by giving the land back to the Africans.

Comment

Tiger you are really full of it,"All of this was done with evil intent.."

So it was the INTENTION to do harm to the indigenous population. Really??? The intentions of the earliest settlers was to establish a refreshment station for scurvy ridden sailors of the VOC, and later a refuge for those fleeing religous persecution and seeking a new life.

Inadvertently, they inflicted grievious harm on the indiginous population, but to suggest that this was their INTENTION is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                              X