Salary in South Africa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary in South Africa

I'm thinking of moving to South Africa for a year or two this coming fall. I'm currently working as an
    EMT-B (emergency medical technician) in Pennsylvania and I read that it's the same as basic ambulance assistants in South Africa. If anyone knows the salaries that a BAA receives in South Africa that would be great. If no one knows, could you tell me a salary that may be similar? And could i support myself on this? If not, I'm also a certified phlebotomist. Could I get a decent salary, just enough to pay the bills, on that?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I see Cape Gov advertised for a BAA (which is the bottom entry-level) at the end of last year, offering just less the R6,000 per month.

Not a lot. You could support yourself on it, but it might be tough, depending on your standards. (Don't get me wrong, millions of South Africans support themselves on much less), but it might mean things like renting a room, rather than a flat (appartment), depending on where you wanted to stay, etc. (You can probably get a flat for about half the offered monthly salary if you want one, again depending on area.)

A more important question is whether your qualification would be accepted here, something you should verify before you decide to come out.

Good luck.

--A
    Common Sense is what tells you that the World is Flat
    -------------------------------

Comment

I tried living on R5000 in Cape Town 1999 and it involved driving a very cheap car and sharing a flat, also not having much disposable income. R6000 today would not go as far as R5000 then. You would not have anything close to the same lifestyle you have in PA. You could try working as a phlebotomist for a private hospital. There is a shortage of nurses, but remember you'd be in the firing line drawing blood in a country with about 20% HIV prevalence in the adult population. Are you South African? If not, getting a visa would be the biggest hurdle.

Comment

What is the salary in automobile industry.?.I have skills of car-refurnishing.

Comment

You have to consider that unemployment is about 25-70%, depending on the area. If you want to come to South Africa, I strongly recommend that you have an income that you generate yourself. If you want further advice about visas, permits, and what sort of work you would be allowed to do, you can enquire with the agency that helped me: Leisure:: LeisureSouth African Migration International » LeisureSouth African Migration International » Leisure - they also gave me an idea, although too late for me, because I have already committed, where if you are retired and have a pension you live off, to apply to come to South Africa on that basis.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneCapeTown View Post
            You have to consider that unemployment is about 25-70%, depending on the area. If you want to come to South Africa, I strongly recommend that you have an income that you generate yourself. If you want further advice about visas, permits, and what sort of work you would be allowed to do, you can enquire with the agency that helped me: Leisure:: LeisureSouth African Migration International » LeisureSouth African Migration International » Leisure - they also gave me an idea, although too late for me, because I have already committed, where if you are retired and have a pension you live off, to apply to come to South Africa on that basis.
            How much money is suitable to live in Cape Town or rural?
            What is the price of life(food,electrcity,rent,car..etc.)in all for one month?

Thanks in advance

Comment

interesting thread, what would people consider a good salary in SA, say entry level good salary

Comment

Sorry this is coming late, but my advice is that you will make more money starting up a business in South Africa. There are lots of opportunities there.

Comment

Working...
                X