I need information on Death penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need information on Death penalty

I am doing a school project on The death penalty in South Africa! If you have any information on the history of the death penalty or the policies that you would be willing to offer please notify me.

It does not exist in the new South Africa.Mandela and the ANC wiped it out totally and by the look of things while ANC is in power it will never be brought back.

Comment

what's wrong with banning such babaric punnisment?
      Africa belongs to all who live in it, black or white

Comment

I hate the death penalty.

Comment

TalkingBodmer, I would like to hear mor of your views on politics. Please>
          May the death penalty never return.
          Africa belongs to all who live in it, black or white

Comment

The death penalty is far from barbaric when applied to henious crimes. Murderers, war criminals, and other such social deviants forfiet their right to exist in civilized society when they willingly commit these sorts of offenses. Allowing their continued existance is a crime against the society that must feed, shelter, protect, and extend the life of such vile persons.

What punishment is suitable to a grown man who rapes an infant to "cure" themselves of AIDS? Does society not deserve retribution for such actions? Merely allowing the virus to take its course is not punishment enough. Did the offender not just sentence an infant to die an early death? Where is the justice in that?

Comment

The death penulty was ruled unconstitutional and was therefore abolished in South Africa. Our constitution is the highest authority in South Africa, higher than public opinion, which is why yesterday the constitutional court ruled that banning gay marriage is unconstitutional and people are arguing that there should be a referendum.

South Africa has a history of framing political opponents for murder in order to hang them and remove their threat to the government. Heros like Vuyisile Mini fell to this fate, and their principles prevented them from causing an outcry; they chose to martyr themselves rather than lend credence to the illigitimate authority that condemned them. This is why banning the death penulty is close to the heart of those who are now in government. Even when the ANC falls from power, there will still be no death penulty because it is unconstitutional. Every South African has "the right to life."

Comment

According to an articale in the South African paper here in London 85% of the SA community want the Death Penalty put back in place. They believe this will help curb the crime and overcrowding in prisons. Personally I agree and think it should be brought back...

bb

Comment

Minority Rule is back?

Ches,
                  The Constitution wrote itself or was compiled by people? If it was written by people would that mean those people have more say than the Majority of South Africans who want the death penalty re-instated, or will these people rule South Africa via this document even when they are dead one day?
                  If this document is in error how does it get rectified or does the error just linger on and South Africans are controlled by this document forever? Does the same mentality rule with regard to government. It is for the People BUT, not BY the People and of the People?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachary View Post
                    The death penalty is far from barbaric when applied to henious crimes. Murderers, war criminals, and other such social deviants forfiet their right to exist in civilized society when they willingly commit these sorts of offenses. Allowing their continued existance is a crime against the society that must feed, shelter, protect, and extend the life of such vile persons.

What punishment is suitable to a grown man who rapes an infant to "cure" themselves of AIDS? Does society not deserve retribution for such actions? Merely allowing the virus to take its course is not punishment enough. Did the offender not just sentence an infant to die an early death? Where is the justice in that?
                    Thank you for such good thoughts addressing evil and questioning how it should be addressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian131 View Post
                      Ches,
                      The Constitution wrote itself or was compiled by people? If it was written by people would that mean those people have more say than the Majority of South Africans who want the death penalty re-instated, or will these people rule South Africa via this document even when they are dead one day?
                      If this document is in error how does it get rectified or does the error just linger on and South Africans are controlled by this document forever? Does the same mentality rule with regard to government. It is for the People BUT, not BY the People and of the People?
                      The constitution was written by people elected to represent organizations that represented people. It was as representative of all South Africans as was possible at the time. We could not have a referendum on every single bullet point in the constitution. The constitution was adopted by the democratically elected government, with each phrase read aloud in parliament. I do not mean that the President simply signed off on it, I mean that each clause was open for debate in parliament meaning that every minority Member of Parliament could've had his or her say.

Swishing around a "85% of South Africans want it reimplemented" statistic doesn't impress me very much at all. I am highly suspicious of the sample population, and the South Africa Times UK is not exactly a highly regarded newspaper whose journalists win Pulitzer Prizes.

Regardless, our constitution details a bill of rights, including the right to life. Public opinion ebbs and flows, and while high crime and overcrowded prisons might be issues today, should temporal political issues really dictate the country's moral stance on our citizens' and residents' right to life? I don't think so.

With a heritage of hundreds of thousands of citizens having their life taken from them unjustly... the unarmed protester shot in the back, Vuyisile Mini framed for murder and hanged because he composed beautiful songs espousing equal rights, the conscripted soldier fighting a needless war... it is insulting to their memory to have a flippant attitude regarding the value of the life of someone who was raised in such violent times and deprived of an education who yes, ignorantly believed the sangoma who said that sex with a virgin would cure his AIDS, who then went ahead and raped a baby. Should that person be removed from society? Yes. Should he be rehabilitated instead of murdered? I think so.

South Africa will know prosperity in the future. The generation raised in an atmosphere of extreme senseless violence will pass and their own children (those who survive the scourge of AIDS) will know less violence and be better adjusted to society and will perpetrate less violent crime. Our country will heal itself of this violence if we remain steadfast with providing health and education and employment opportunities to our citizens. Killing them off to keep crowding down in prisons is short-sighted and barbaric. Frankly, it smacks of racism too. Most of the people in the prisons are poor, black and uneducated. They are people who made bad choices in a bad situation and given a life of other circumstances would not be where they are.
                      Last edited by ches; 9 October 2007, 21:11.

Comment

I was just scanning through the boards when i came across this post. I am impressed with what you have said, and you are right.
                        Our Constitution was was hard fought and hard won. It cannot be thrown away on the whim of a group of people who want a quick solution to a problem that was a long time in the making.
                        Reinstating the death penalty is wrong.

Comment

Killing them off to keep crowding down in prisons is short-sighted and barbaric. Frankly, it smacks of racism too. Most of the people in the prisons are poor, black and uneducated. They are people who made bad choices in a bad situation and given a life of other circumstances would not be where they are.
                          yes and thats the problem to, it starts very early on and is a result of lack of education, which leads to lack of oprtunity, which eventually ends to a person not valuing life or society very much, becuase they have nothing invested in, it and nothing to realy live for, so it does'nt matter to them. However killing this person that eventually commits the crime as a result of thier upbringing does nothing to change society, and does not make life better for anyone, its just a hateful revenge, driven by anger, and helplessness which is the same thing that drove the person to commit the crime in the first place.

Our duty as a civilized society is to keep people alive not kill them, and this works on both sides. The key is education, and oprtunity, showing a person that their life is valuable and they do belong and can contribute.

Comment

I also do not believe that the death penalty actually served any purpose. I would however like to see that a person convicted of murder or rape not be able to get out of jail as easy or soon as some do. And the jails should actually become jails and not hotels.
                            KONSALIK

USED TO BE PROUD TO BE SOUTH AFRICAN

Comment

And the jails should actually become jails and not hotels.
                              I know I agree, there was a prison here in the US a while back that was even talking about allowing prisoners to have cell phones issued to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X