Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Coming to South Africa

Hi there,
    I am new to this board and thought I would introduce myself.

As well I am coming to South Africa and am wondering how Capetown will be for a black Canadian model. I also would like to know the differences between working in Capetown and Johannesburg

Originally posted by luna1
    Hi there,
    I am new to this board and thought I would introduce myself.

As well I am coming to South Africa and am wondering how Capetown will be for a black Canadian model. I also would like to know the differences between working in Capetown and Johannesburg
    Well, firstly, it's Cape Town -- two words. Secondly, what type of visa do you have? Because it's illegal to work without a visa.

Salaries are slightly higher in Joburg, but you don't end up with much extra in your pocket after you've paid the higher car/home insurance fees because crime is much, much higher in Joburg. Also, Cape Town is a beautiful city, with the sea and the mountain, whereas Joburg is just a city.

In the "Moving" board we've given numerous people advice and debated the differences between the two cities. Check it out.

Comment

Right Cape Town.

First of all. I did not say I was moving to Cape Town I said I was coming to work...

It is, from my understanding illegal to work in most countries without a working visa..

So my question still remains.

I will have a look at the "moving to Cape Town" section for differences between the two cities as well.

Comment

Have a great trip and post any other questions you may have here or in the Moving forum.

Comment

Cape Town is great - you would not regret going there. There is tons of modelling work there - I often see shoots taking place all over Cape Town. Not only that, I think your influence in South Africa would be great. I wish more black people would visit South Africa and lift up the spirits of the people in South Africa so that they too can realise their full potentials. They were oppressed for far too long and it would be so wonderful to see people from other continents coming to Cape Town and bringing their knowledge with them. Cape Town truly is the most beautiful city in the world and capetonians really know how to have fun! I would recommend Cape Town over Joburg!

Comment

Cape Town is the Shizit!

I can highly recommend cape town..

I was a dj in cape town for 4 years and the whole party, model scene is phenomenal.. you'll feel right at home. beautiful people are synonamous with cape town.

good luck! i can put you in touch with some model friends of mine who can get you into the right crowds if you're keen

mail me mark@yellow-llama.com

Comment

Thank you for your replies Mark and Heidi.
              I am looking forward to coming to Cape Town as well as meeting people of all cultures there.
              It would be great to be in contact with some people as well before I arrive. How does Cape Town compare to JoBurg as far as modeling goes.. if anyone knows.

Thanks again!

Comment

Couldn't help you there as I've never been to Jo'burg. But I know that its flourishing in Cape Town. Plenty of gorgeous people and an equal number of agencies to match.

Do you have an agency? Or you looking to find one when you arrive?

From what I know of friends & family in Joburg...the general lifestyle isn't as pleasant as it is in CTown. Joburg is very rushed and the crime is very real & should be considered when making your final decision.

The CTown is incredibly meditteranean & cosmopolitan. The party scene is unparalleled. Many of these parties are prime spots for making contacts and establishing yourself in the CTown scene. There's a club called Rhodes House where loads of such meeting & greeting takes place and many deals are made.

If you're not a work-a-holic and you want to enjoy your working stay in SAfrica, then I'd recommend CTown.

Comment

Thanks again and I cannot wait to see Cape Town. I have an agency already and will probably be coming out at the beginning of September. I understand that it's quite busy then with editorials. Where is a good area to stay as I may have housing through the agency but am not sure yet.

Comment

thats a tough one luna1...really depends on what you like and what you can afford.

I stayed in an area called Tableview. Its about 3 minutes drive from the coastline called the Atlantic Coast and about 20min from town.

With your type of job, you'd be best placed in areas close to town. Staying in the city bowl is of course marvellous, but the price tag is hefty, with a studio apartment on the foreshore going for anywhere from R3800pm and upwards. A few minutes out of town is the Upper Woodstock area. Slightly less glamorous, but close to town. The architecture here is old-school & quaint but nice. If money isn't an object, then the Bantry Bay, Camps Bay or Clifton areas are unbeatable. On the mountainous coastline just beyond the city, the rent here is astronomical but so are the views. Definately the place to be seen, and if you can organise an apartment here, you won't be disappointed!

Comment

Working...
                    X