X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niquie please

Niquie,

On the open board there is a thread "the forgotten race."
    on the last page a member by the name of BOOTH350 made a post with some rather strong language in it. I can't get into the post to do some editing. Please assist.

KONSALIK

USED TO BE PROUD TO BE SOUTH AFRICAN

Oh, that will be because I closed the thread, I'll see if I can get back in and beep the bad words.

Comment

Quite an auspicious first post, eh?

People, keep an eyeball on Booth350. There is a level of anger in this member that does not bode well for this forum. Profane lectures are insulting and against the rules. Besides, no one deserves that kind of treatment.

Comment

As someone pointed out in the thread, the post that he was replying to was over four years old.

I'd like to repeat my request to delete some of the older stuff. There's posts going back to '99.

When I first saw that thread, I was confused as hell!
        Then I noticed the dates.

Later

Common Sense is what tells you that the World is Flat
        -------------------------------

Comment

I see no reason to delete old stuff. These pages are google indexed (which is how I found the site to begin with!) and some of the old discussions are interesting.

As you saw, the discussions are dated - it's easy to find out that it's an historic discussion.

Comment

Liza, you did the right thing by closing the thread. It'll slip down the list into oblivion as other threads arise in any case.

V

Comment

"Voltage" is right

Seriously, moderators, use your powers to close threads when, in your own good judgment, they are causing more harm than good.

I much prefer this tactic to nuking, unless, of course, there is profanity or slurs contained therein. Then, by all means, nuke away.

Comment

Fair enough, I agree that the old posts might be useful, but then how about creating an archive for them and locking them?

Just another suggestion

Comment

Why lock them? The one that was posted to this week involved an offensive post, but there may be some genuinely interesting threads back there, and we - a totally new group of people - may like to pick the discussions back up.

Really, they are effectively archived because they are so far down the list of "new threads" that the only way to find one is to google for it! (Or be very patient.) I doubt that the three or four moderators we have have time to trawl through the pages looking for threads so old nobody's stumbled upon them for years and lock them.

I'm not saying don't do it -- I'm just saying that it seems like a lot of work and I personally don't see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by ches
                    Why lock them? The one that was posted to this week involved an offensive post, but there may be some genuinely interesting threads back there, and we - a totally new group of people - may like to pick the discussions back up.
                    I'll agree again that they don't have to be locked, but an archive of the interesting ones may make people more likely to view them, rather than having to depend on luck to stumble across them. I certainly have never been past the first page.

As you say tho, a lot of work, especially culling out the rubbish. I raised it initially because I don't know what space limitations we have (if any).

Regardless, it's not particularly important to me, was just a random thought.

Take it easy

[Edited by Avatar on 30th August 2004 at 13:55]

Comment

Working...
                    X