Banned user or banned username?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liza81
    look, if you want to post in Japanese, go ahead. If there were a bunch of members on here who all spoke Japanese AS AFIRST LANGUAGE I would not say a thing about them posting in it even though I do not understand. Even if it's second lang and they just choose to speak in it it wouldn't bother me.
    I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. I know I couldn't when I started.

Of course we didn't PM, there are more than two people involved in this conversation, eh? It would be a hassle to send it to multiple people when we have this lovely board available.

If It bothers you just avoid the threads with Afrikaans in them. I'll say again, they are not all that many.
    I understand the reasons why you did it. I'm just a bit surprised, that's all.

This is one issue that I totally disagree with you on, and I won't be changing my mind.

Sorry that it bothers you but you'll have to make peace with it becuase it's not about to change.
    It doesn't bother me that much, to be honest. I work and live with Germans, and my German is very poor. I don't expect them to speak in English, and I try my best to converse in German. Lunchtime conversation is usually in German, and I'm used to it.

However, you have all missed the point I was trying to make - so I'll be blunt, this time: I work in Germany, and expect German as part of the territory. German is also *the* language for Germany; English is far less accepted here (just try it and see). However, Afrikaans is *not* a majority language in Africa - if anything, Afrikaners are a very small minority. Further to this, you are not addressing an African-only audience; when you operate on the Internet, you address a global community. I'm sure what follows is pretty obvious, so I won't say it.

Look, I'm *not* telling you not to use Afrikaans. I'm not even implying that you should use English all the time. However, when threads that start out as English become taken over with Afrikaans discourse, it's very difficult to contribute if you don't know Afrikaans. How do I tell the difference between discussion in a thread, or just idle chat between friends? Unlike Kukute, I'm not afraid to try online translation tools and dictionaries when I can't understand something - I get an awful lot of e-mails at work in German, with no English translation; sometimes, you have to cope on your own. However, even with this, sometimes it's not easy to make sense of what's being said.

You would all agree on one thing, I hope: You wish to present a good image of South Africa, through this Web site. Most of your visitors (particularly for tourism) - let's face the facts, aren't going to be Afrikaners. So, allow me to offer some constructive criticism: Why not keep an area of the board aside for Afrikaans-only discussion? Other forums already do this, and it tends to work well.

I'm happy to agree to disagree with you on this; we aren't all the same. I decided to give you feedback and suggestions (I hope I'm in the right area for this!) - take my advice or ignore it. Whatever you do, you can't say the matter wasn't considered - and that's good enough for me.

Comment

Well, I appreciate your feedback and suggestion.
      I realize of course that Afrikaans in not a major language in South Africa. If we were going for the major language we'd all have to type in Zulu. Afrikaans is however, the first language of the majority of regular posters here.

If you find a thread in Anglish you were fairly interested in but turned to afrikaans, feel free to ask us what the hell is going on, or alternatively, copy the whole thing and paste it in the language board and ask for translation.

Can't you figure out some of the Afrikaans from your knowledge of German?

Comment

If you find a thread in Anglish you were fairly interested in but turned to afrikaans, feel free to ask us what the hell is going on, or alternatively, copy the whole thing and paste it in the language board and ask for translation.
        Ta. Will do.

Can't you figure out some of the Afrikaans from your knowledge of German?
        It's not quite that easy. I think my German would have to be a bit better than it is - and some Dutch knowledge wouldn't hurt, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Joovilhar
          Ta. Will do.

It's not quite that easy. I think my German would have to be a bit better than it is - and some Dutch knowledge wouldn't hurt, either.
          Dutch is a very difficult language to learn, like Afrikaans, with no end result, and ending in a useless language in our modern world, do not even bother, I speak good Flemish, which is nearer Afrikaans

Maybe like liza, I speak five languages
          Moonwalker

The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us,
          And I for one must be content to remain an agnostic
          ...Charles Darwin...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonwalker
            Dutch is a very difficult language to learn, like Afrikaans, with no end result, and ending in a useless language in our modern world, do not even bother, I speak good Flemish, which is nearer Afrikaans

Maybe like liza, I speak five languages

Gosh, I wish I spoke 5! I'm fluent in two, speak very very poor French

(vachement horrible, c'est vrai)

and can understand Dutch just fine since I have friends who are Dutch. We are used to eachother. They speak Dutch, I speak Afrikaans and we all get along like a house on fire (comme un maison sur un feu) - see how bad the French is?

What are you 5 languages, Manie?

Comment

speak very very poor French
              I think you are underestimating yourself Liza, my French is also pretty poor, my German is good though, and the Dutch think I am Flemish when I speak Dutch, throw in English and Afrikaans and I think you and I are pretty multi-lingual........wish I could speak some Spanish though!
              Moonwalker

...Charles Darwin...

Comment

This may well be a forum visited by people world wide but it still is a south african forum therefor I feel that South Africans who wants to use their mother language should do so.

And as a point of correction, Afrikaans is NOT a minority language in South Africa. It is the mother tongue of more people who has English as their mother tongue.

The following is according to the 2001 census:

"isiZulu is the mother tongue of 23.8% of South Africa's roughly 45 million people, followed by isiXhosa at 17.6%, Afrikaans at 13.3%, Sepedi at 9.4%, and English at 8.2%"

The remaining languages are all less than 5%
                KONSALIK

USED TO BE PROUD TO BE SOUTH AFRICAN

Comment

Thanks Konsalik, I didn't realise that Afrikaans is the 3rd most widely spoken language! Makes my heart warm.

Comment

Afrikaans

I am not at all surprised at Konsalik's stats, it does make a lot of sense, Afrikaans is predomidantly spoken in the Cape Province, which after all, forms the greater part of SA, except for in, and around Cape Town, where choice of language is now Debatable, due to the influx of newcomers

And of course The Orange Free State, where Afrikaans is spoken by most, irrespective of whether they are black or white........
                    Moonwalker

...Charles Darwin...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonwalker
                      ... the Cape Province, which after all, forms the greater part of SA...

Comment

Looks like all the Capes together forms about half, hey?

Comment

Originally posted by konsalik
                          "isiZulu is the mother tongue of 23.8% of South Africa's roughly 45 million people, followed by isiXhosa at 17.6%, Afrikaans at 13.3%, Sepedi at 9.4%, and English at 8.2%"

The remaining languages are all less than 5%
                          Then they're all minority languages

Seriously though, I agree with Konsalik and Liza - I think the language thing is only ever a problem on any forum when people use it as a means to exclude. I've never felt that was the case here, and people are always happy to explain the contents of a conversation to non-Afrikaans speakers (of which I am one) if they ask.

It's a friendly forum like that

V

Comment

Working...
                          X