Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration - What To Consider

Hi All.

This is my first post on your wonderful board.

I am considering immigrating to Cape Town, but would like the heads up about certain issues.
    I have been to CT many times before, but only as a tourist. And only with tourist eyes.

I am 47 years old, with a wife, and no kids.
    Only plan to work a few days a week.

What are peoples comments / guidence regarding.....
    cost of living
    inflation
    politics
    economics
    crime / safety
    health
    any other issues that are worth mentioning

Thanks All.

Immigration to South Africa

Hi pommie!

I can only advise you to visit our website, Immigration South Africa, to find out about how to immigrate to SA.

With regards to the other points you mention, do you have more specific questions? Inflation was 5,6% at the end of November 2012. Cost of living is much lower than in the UK. Politics, as everywhere I presume, is a circus (really!). Crime is not a problem once you know what to look out for. Health, well, I can only say that people exercise much more here.

Hope this helps - feel free to email me.

Best regards
    ImmigrationSA

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I am just canvasing for peoples opinions, or stories, or experiences so that I can form a generalised picture.
      Any anecdotes people have would be useful.

One immediate question, are there libraries, and as there are 11 official languages, what proportion of books would be ..
      a) english
      b) africaans

Back to the other topics, it is nice to know that to a certain extent crime can be *reduced*.

How can I find out about annual wage rates in Cape Town ?
      Do people on average salary struggle to make ends meet ?
      If so, is there a reason for this ?
      Are certain items dis-proportunately expensive, in terms of house hold income.

I guess my main concern (at this point in time) is household income versus household expenses.

I will check, but inflation at 5.7% seems high in this post GFC world.

Comment

Most books are in English and the language most used is English. Afrikaans is probably second in terms of books, but I don't know. Zulu, Xhosa and Sotho are probably spoken the most after English, or perhaps more, just not in the media.

Your questions ask about SA from a macro point of view, but probably won't apply to your situation. People with a good education and job earn more than enough to live comfortably.

Comment

I see your point about the "macro point of view" and how they may not relate to me.

I do not speak Afrikaans, so how big a disadvantage would that be, when job searching.
          Thinking about Cape Town CBD.
          Just want maybe a few days a week, office based, clerical or admin, not mega bucks.
          Something for social contact, and earning a few rand at the same time.
          Also, I guess I would be last in line after any South African ? I ask this in good faith, no disrespect to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by pommie View Post
            I see your point about the "macro point of view" and how they may not relate to me.

I do not speak Afrikaans, so how big a disadvantage would that be, when job searching.
            Thinking about Cape Town CBD.
            Just want maybe a few days a week, office based, clerical or admin, not mega bucks.
            Something for social contact, and earning a few rand at the same time.
            Also, I guess I would be last in line after any South African ? I ask this in good faith, no disrespect to anyone.
            Not speaking Afrikaans won't change much, although it would be easier for you once in the job, maybe. I would say it would be harder to find a job working only a few days a few than a full-time job. Yes, any foreigner would be behind South Africans in the line, although it is always only about your capabilities. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yes, this helps very much.

Comment

Working...
              X