Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planning on visit and possibly a move there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning on visit and possibly a move there...

Hello,

I am living in the U.S. and have thought of moving to Capetown, SA.

Professionally, I work with computer systems and networks.
    I have no idea what the market is like and have been reading all I can about SA. All I know about SA is what I read and hear on the news. I know all countries have their own unique problems and I know caution must be used anywhere and every where.

I have drawn up my list of pro's and con's and do want to go to SA, but, I would like to find out more about the Cape and more about the industry there.

So, any help in this regard would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    justa...

Hi

Cape Town great HOLIDAY city. Industry?? Almost non-existant, 90 % based in Johannesburg although CT does have a booming IT sector.

Comment

moving to Capetown

Allan,

Thank you for your quick response. So, the IT sector is booming?...Is that in the Cape or Johannesburg?

Also, if you could either tell me or point me to where I could find out some data on health, cost of living..etc..

thanks again,
      justa (aka tony)

Comment

Hi

I suppose I was a bit harsh on Cape Town (CT) being a Jo'burg resident myself but in South Africa there is not much in the way of industry & big business outside of Gauteng province (near Johannesburg). That is where the money is.

However CT has been making great strides forwards over the last 7 years while Joburg has been in decline (illegal immigrants / crime / pollution...). The last I heard which was before 11 September, the IT industry was supposed to be doing very well in CT. I believe many IT firms now have their headquarters in CT, taking advantage of the more sedate lifestyle.

"Also, if you could either tell me or point me to where I could find out some data on health, cost of living..etc.. "

South Africa boasts a first world (private) health care sector, so you need not worry about that. We are constantly told that the "cost of living" in SA is relatively cheap.

To compare property prices you can check out these (CT) real estate sites

http://www.erahoutbay.com/
        http://www.erahoutbay.com/

Also try http://www.ananzi.co.za It is a SA site directory and seach engine. You should be able to find out quite a bit.

Hope I've been able to help.

Comment

Allan,

Thank you for your reply...You have been most helpful and I will certainly look at the url's that you sent.

I do appreciate the time and effort you took with me. If you are indicitive of the resident's in SA, then I am going to enjoy my stay there.

thanks again,
          Tony

Comment

Working...
          X