No announcement yet.

Big Move, Am I Crazy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the Arab people I know who go to study in the USA go because they know they can have a load of fun in the USA and still get their degrees Its far enough away from their parents to give them the freedom to go wild in a way they never could at home and there are enough Arabs there for them to feel 'at home' should they ever need to. Most of the girl get sent to regional Unis or to their families abroad who will watch their behaviour.

Depending on where they go to study, they can either bum around and still get a degree, or they can work hard and get one from one of the good unis. (Guess which one most of these guys are attracted to! ) Several people I know went to Washington DC and to Texas A&M where they reccon you can party your ass off, spend half the term in Mexico (A&M) and still come out with good grades at the end of it! Most attractive to all their palls they then enourage to come and study with them

No doubt the USA has some of the top Unis in the world, but the reason for many people going to study in the USA I believe, has less to do the the quality of the education and more to do with the lifestyle they can have whilst there. India, Pakistan the Arab countries etc all have excellent universities that are well respected in industry, but the USA has the attractive lifestyle, and once established there - you can start working on nationalisation, something loads of young immigrants want.

As for SA, the unversities are excellent and produce people that are then actively headhunted by the rest of the world, including the USA. As for SA not attracting as many international students as the USA, I know its because most parents will veto their child going to study there due to safety reasons. (even my own parents stopped me going to SA to study despite bitter protests from me, and sent me to the UK) They are well aware of the crime situation and why risk sending your child to a country with such high crime stats when you know they are going to be a little reckless and not aware of their situation for a lot of the time! Rather send them somwhere that is considered to be safer, be that the USA, EU or Oz.

Personally I will send my kids to SA universities as they are incredibly strong and they encourage a mentality of hard work and innovative thinking that I (and many employers hunting these kids) value highly. The only thing that may hamper me is AA, but I hope by the time my kids are ready - AA will be a thing of the past as all in SA will be viewed equally by the system. (hight hopes!)

I have 2 friends in the USA who are homeschooling their kids in Florida. They are doing it because they feel that the kids are not getting a decent education from the state system. Too many kids in class who don't want to be there and no disciplin. Their kids are doing very well and they still manage to have a good social life with their friends. They are not fundamentalits, they are not religious, they just care about their kids grades and well being. A minority - maybe?

I myself was homeschooled for 2 years in the UK as the curriculum was so mediocre and left me bored and uninspired by school. A small group of us and one amazing teacher spent 2 incredible years researching topics that fascinated us and learning how to become innovators. (I went on to get BSC (hons) & MSc & MBA after incredibly hard graft, so it worked!)

Comment

Its not that agree that some schools are not that great in some areas of the US, or that in some places our education system needs work, it probably does, just like anywhere else. My problem with this discussion has been the fact that a broad sweeping statment was presented here and stated as fact and put forth as being characteristc of the total US education system based on a new resident and her expereince with one school and one school district, and I do not like this, just like you all quickly defended SA in light of another poster that was talking of his expereince's there and you all quickly made sure that I understood that his expereinces were not characteristic of the whole country and that there are a lot of other variables at play. Its the same thing, generalizations work both ways.

There are good schools and bad schools. A lot of the times it depends on where a person is raised, I was raised in a good area, and went to good schools and received a good education. The quality of education varries from region to region, so its actually impossible to characterize the whole system based on one expereince in one area, and I actually think that the poster
      who initially started the discussion knows that.

this is where I grew up and all the schools I went to, all are nationally and internationally recognized for their excellence and acheivements.

City of Grapevine, Texas > Government > General Information > General Information

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD

New American High Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blue Ribbon Schools Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grapevine, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of North Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of North Texas

Comment

Education Is Man Making

Originally posted by rach2005 View Post
        Its not that agree that some schools are not that great in some areas of the US, or that in some places our education system needs work, it probably does, just like anywhere else. My problem with this discussion has been the fact that a broad sweeping statment was presented here and stated as fact and put forth as being characteristc of the total US education system based on a new resident and her expereince with one school and one school district, and I do not like this, just like you all quickly defended SA in light of another poster that was talking of his expereince's there and you all quickly made sure that I understood that his expereinces were not characteristic of the whole country and that there are a lot of other variables at play. Its the same thing, generalizations work both ways.

There are good schools and bad schools. A lot of the times it depends on where a person is raised, I was raised in a good area, and went to good schools and received a good education. The quality of education varries from region to region, so its actually impossible to characterize the whole system based on one expereince in one area, and I actually think that the poster
        who initially started the discussion knows that.

this is where I grew up and all the schools I went to, all are nationally and internationally recognized for their excellence and acheivements.

City of Grapevine, Texas > Government > General Information > General Information

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD

New American High Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blue Ribbon Schools Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grapevine, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of North Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of North Texas

Hi folks,

Education is not the only yardstick to evaluate a human being completely.

World's most dreaded terrorists are educated in universities.

World's most abusive dictators were/are educated indeed.

If a person with "evil upbringing" preconceived with a dangerous notion on human kind ,enters any UNIVERSITY ,the resultant effect could be mostly DISASTEROUS.

The entire family should be educated with "kindness and compassion" as their PRINCIPLE IN LIFE.Then we wouldnot be finding "SHOOTING INCIDENTS IN SCHOOLS" where at the tender ages CHILDREN get to GUNS.

My law school taught me LAW,I learnt VALUES FROM SOCIETY.
        I AM STILL LEARNING MORE.

best wishes,
        L.E

Comment

Working...
        X