Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans in/around Cape Town

Hi,

I was wondering if Americans living in South Africa (specifically the Western Penn.) visit this board? I would like to ask them some questions.

Thanks
    Jerry

PS- I also posted this in the genral forum

not that I'm aware of, maybe you'll have better luck finding Americans in Cape Town if you google for expat clubs/associations.

Comment

Hey Jerry,

Why not ask the questions - you never know who'll find them on google and give you an answer. Also, we can probably help you anyway. Many of us live in the US now, so we'll more than likely be able to answer any questions you may have.

Ches

Comment

Originally posted by Jernbev
        Hi again,

The reason I asked is there where any Americans that live in the wester penn was to get some information. My situation is as follows,

My wife is from the Cape Town area and has lived in the states for about 20 years or so. She has had some difficult medical issues and would like to move back home to be with friends and family. I would like to make this happen, however I am not naive about the employment situation there in South Africa. Unfortunately we are not wealthy and would have to take quite a gamble in order to move to Cape Town, plus the fact that my wife would not be able to work. So I looking to get some sort of inside track on employment oppurtunities. It will be some time before we can actually attempt a move so I was looking for very basic information.

Thanks
        Jerry
        Jerry,

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's health trouble.

According to the Department of Home Affairs website, as a spouse of a South African -- assuming your wife didn't at any stage relinquish her South African citizenship to take on American citizenship, you should have no trouble immigrating.

There is chronic unemployment in South Africa (30% if you discount those no longer seeking work, 40% if you don't), however, there is a surplus of unskilled labour and a shortage of skilled labour. Many professionals have left South Africa, and while some are returning, the Brain Drain has had a large impact. There will be opportunities for you if you have some kind of profession or skill.

You mention that you will not be looking to move for a while, so even if you don't yet have a profession, there may be time to acquire one. For instance, teachers are in short supply.

If you can tell us about your qualifications and work experience, we will be better placed to advise you.

You should read the answers we've given to others in other threads here. Things like the web address of the Department of Home Affairs have already been duplicated, but will be useful to you too.

Cape Town houses are becoming increasingly expensive. Depending on which area you want to live in, and whether your stay will be brief or permanent, you might need to sell your property in America in order to afford property in South Africa. A 2-bedroom condo in a middle-income area goes for just under the equivalent of US$100,000 (or US$500 per month) these days. The property boom hasn't shown any signs of abating yet.

If you have a source of capital to bring into the country and want to open your own business, depending upon what line of business you're in, you might find yourself doing very well.

My aunt and uncle recently emigrated from the UK and brought a chunk of capital (approximately R1,500,000 or US$275,000) and bought a house and opened a day care. THe day care is doing tremendously well and my uncle has found a job in recruitment, a field he had no previous experience in. (He had a business as a crop consultant in the UK.)

The bottom line is, there is opportunity in Cape Town, but it depends on your experience and your capital.

Ches

Comment

Working...
        X