Importing my car any tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing my car any tips?

Dear all if I import my car into SA can I get duty and vat relief if I'm a returning resident and what are the criteria for being a "returning resident"?

I'm living in the UK but want to go home and I have been in the UK for 10 years.

Can't get a straight answer out of anyone and emails don't get answered by SA customs so any tips or contact details appreciated

N

When my parents were visiting my dad was trying to convince me to import my 2000 Mustang as he was under the impression that if you're a citizen and have owned the vehicle for over 2 years the import duty is waived. I'm not sure how accurate that is, however.

I know several people who have emigrated to South Africa and none have taken vehicles with them. Unless it's a collectors' or antique vehicle, I can't see why you would. If it's an obscure vehicle you would struggle to find parts, so I am guessing would have to be rather wealthy in which case the luxury taxes would be within your reach, and if it's a common-or-garden-variety vehicle which you could find in SA then it's most likely much cheaper to sell in the UK and buy locally.

Comment

Originally posted by ches View Post
      If it's an obscure vehicle you would struggle to find parts, so I am guessing would have to be rather wealthy in which case the luxury taxes would be within your reach, and if it's a common-or-garden-variety vehicle which you could find in SA then it's most likely much cheaper to sell in the UK and buy locally.
      Ah Ches It's a cherished old vehicle I've done some work on. So not wealthy, trying to save money.

Anyway if you know of anyone who has done it would appreciated tips or contact details.

I know people have brought cars in but I can't get a consistent answer as to how to work out taxes and duty so I can't make the calculations

If anyone knows of an agent who can arrange it on the SA end even better!!

thanks
      Nick

Comment

importing car

If you want to import your car why not give George baker shipping a call they are in Felixstowe in the uk they make it really, easy help you with all the paperwork they don't charge the earth either they ship any thing from a single box to a full house move i used them to ship to cape town.

Comment

cars

I just got back from SA and was looking into importing a car with me when i go back, but descovered that after all the costs etc, its actually cheeper to buy in SA! Thats even with the waiver on a 2 year old car. Good luck with your move, where are you moving to?

Comment

importing a car into SA - coming home plans

I'm hoping to move to the Cape, however things have taken a bit of a turn as I was going to get involved in a business but unfortunately things are starting to fall apart a bit with the power outages, causing problems with the business, so this might take a bit longer than expected.

Anyway I'll get it together eventually.

Regards the car import thing,

If you've ever owned a car you've put some hours work into, you know what I mean when I say it's irreplaceable - in any case there's still a few years of improvements to make - kind of a hobby if you like.

So do you have any tips, contacts and so-on you can share?

Firstly I'm trying to find a legitimate source of info about car import duty and taxes, which will allow me to work out how much it costs to bring a car into SA, I'm not so concerned about transport side of things as there are plenty of companies who do this kind of thing.

Many thanks
            Nick

Comment

Working...
            X