Cape of Good Hope, South Africa._ in 3D.
The legendary Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope form part of the Nature Reserve. These promontories were key beacons for the early explorers and are the source of many myths and legends. In 1488, Bartholomew Dias named the Peninsula Cabo Tormentoso, or the Cape of Storms. King John II of Portugal later gave it the name Cabo da Boa Esperanca - the Cape of Good Hope. In 1580, Sir Frances Drake proclaimed it to be " ... the most stately thing and the fairest Cape we saw in the whole circumference of the earth."